Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You can't beat the Real Thing


My kids are healthier than I am ... which is a very good thing. They are normal kids so they are not joining me on this 95-day challenge which means I'm forced to witness them eat all their goodies. They've become very generous all of a sudden - I always get offered a few crisps or a bite of chocolate bar if they have one now - something I had to drop serious hints to get a few weeks ago. Then of course they fake the 'Oh, sorry Mom, I forgot!'. They are loving tormenting me. One bad habit that my girls have managed to avoid inheriting from me is my love of that all-American drink - 'Coca-Cola'. I wouldn't be the worst Coke addict, I cut down consumption some years back when I discovered other drinks such as beer and wine, but I do have a sincere appreciation for its finer qualities. Like red wine with steak and white wine with fish, Coke goes really, really well with pizza, burgers and/or popcorn. It's also a lot better at quenching your thirst. My son has got the Coke thing bad but the girls have always hated bubbles and won't drink anything fizzy. This can cause some problems - particularly when we go places where only fizzy drinks are served for kids. Recently my youngest was invited to a party at the cinema and like any sensible parent bringing 20 kids to the cinema the treats were dealt out of the boot of the car before the movie rather than investing an IMF-sized loan in paying for treats indoors. Unfortunately they only had fizzy drinks so I had to make a quick dash inside the Crescent to buy something non-fizzy for her ladyship. That meant queuing at BB's Muffins. Can you imagine it? A no-junk food challenge and being forced to queue for ten minutes watching and smelling the most delicious muffins ever. They even had a plate of free tasters on top. Torture. I bought the blackcurrant juice and fled.

No comments:

Post a Comment