Friday, June 24, 2011

Is Diet 7up considered Junk Food?


Just to prove how seriously I'm taking all this - let me tell you about the sacrifice I made this afternoon. Grace 'Mad' Dowling took me on a run halfway to Ennis this afternoon (I only did half the run and waited to meet her coming back) and it nearly killed me. It was pretty hot this afternoon and when I got into the car after the run I was dying with the thirst. I was in a rush to make my son's graduation ceremony (primary school before anyone makes a cheeky remark) and so no time to stop for a drink. Then I remembered - I had a bottle of diet 7up in a drawer under my car seat for thirst emergencies. But then I stopped. Is diet 7up junk food? Of course Coke, Fanta and all that stuff comes under the junk food label - I'm not that big a cheat that I'd argue they are drinks not food. But
diet 7up?? I mean, real 7up is practically a health food - it's what they always recommend you drink with a dicky tummy - of course, without the bubbles. Medicinal properties notwithstanding, I'm prepared to accept that the full sugar version of 7up does indeed constitute junk food. But I wrestled with the debate on the diet version for a few minutes. After all, the label says: Sugar Free, Calorie Free, Colouring Free and Caffeine Free. However, the label also says it includes things like malic acid, acidity regulater, aspartame, aceulfame K, and sodium benzoate. So, I ultimately concluded that I couldn't take the risk. It's rubbish in a bottle really. Just a load of chemicals in liquid form made to taste nice with zero nutritional value. I suppose that's enough for it to qualify. That's why being on a diet would be so much easier - I could drink diet 7up and eat low fat chocolate brownies.
I stayed parched. I attended the graduation ceremony looking like a dehydrated sweaty tomato. How's that for dedication?

No comments:

Post a Comment